Las Vegas Toddler Dies from Rare Brain-Eating Amoeba
Tragedy struck the Bundy family from Las Vegas as their two-year-old son, Woodrow Bundy, passed away from a rare brain-eating amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri. Woodrow had been receiving treatment at Sunrise Children’s Hospital in Las Vegas but unfortunately succumbed to the deadly infection.
The heartbreaking incident occurred a few weeks ago when Woodrow was swimming in Ash Springs, a popular destination near Alamo which is approximately 100 miles north of Las Vegas. It is believed that he contracted the amoeba during his time in the warm waters of the springs.
Woodrow’s health took a rapid downturn after experiencing flu-like symptoms last week. Dr. Brian Labus, an epidemiologist and associate professor at the University of Nevada, explained that Naegleria fowleri thrives in warm water, with hot springs being a suitable environment for its growth. The organism enters a person’s nose, migrates to the brain, and ultimately destroys brain tissue.
Typically, symptoms of the infection become apparent about five days after exposure, starting with a fever and general feelings of illness. Unfortunately, the disease progress rapidly, leaving medical professionals with limited time to intervene.
While brain-eating amoeba infections are extremely rare, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have reported a total of 29 cases in the United States over the past nine years. It is important to note that the disease cannot spread from person to person, easing concerns of a widespread outbreak.
As the Bundy family grieves the loss of their beloved son, friends and family have rallied together to provide support. They have launched a GoFundMe page to help ease the financial burden of funeral expenses.
The tragic death of Woodrow Bundy serves as a reminder of the potential dangers lurking in warm bodies of water. Authorities urge the public to take precautions, such as avoiding warm freshwater bodies and using nose clips or holding their noses shut while swimming. By staying informed and taking preventative measures, individuals can minimize the risks associated with Naegleria fowleri.