Death toll from shooting in Playa del Carmen rises to seven
The death toll from a shooting at a bar in Playa del Carmen has risen to seven, state prosecutors said Monday.
Six people were pronounced dead at the scene and a seventh person died in hospital, the Quintana Roo Attorney General’s Office said.
The AG’s office said no tourists were among the victims of the shooting, which took place at Villas del Sol neighbourhood in Playa del Carmen.
So far, officials have not released additional details about the number of people wounded and no arrests have been made.
Two gunmen entered the Virginias bar around 8:00 pm Sunday and opened fire with large-caliber arms.
The gunmen left the bar and escaped in a vehicle.
Officials blamed that shooting on a dispute between drug traffickers. They blame the violence on a turf war involving the Jalisco Nueva Generacion Cartel, Los Zetas cartel and other gangs that want to control the illegal drug trade in the region.
Source: Herald Tribune & El Universal